Monday, February 14, 2011

February 14 - Haast to Lake Hawea - 128 km

So why the 128 km day?  We were only supposed to go 87 km.  Sounds like somebody was slave driving, eh?  so, here's today's story:

I poked my nose out at 6 ayem (yawn) and noticed clear blue sky above, so we packed up, had breakfast and off  we went.  Turns out the clear patch was only overhead - low cloud and drizzle filled in for the first 40 km.

There was lots of water flowing out of the hillside, but no evidence of damage from yesterday's heavy rains.  They are still fighting washouts and problems from the torrents a few weeks ago, however.



Here's a pretty waterfall.  Note how lush it is around there.  Laura commented that it seems the ferns are growing right out of the rock.















I like this photo - it's the first hint of clearing and blue sky.  We're still in the Haast river valley.












The beginning of today's climb, and the raging river below.  The climb was steep for the next little bit, but not far.  Then it flattened out into a gradual climb again.  The sky is clearing and the sun is coming out.


Here we are at the top, before noon yet!  The pass turned out to be a non-event.  For one thing I thought it was 650 meters high instead of the actual 564.  Just because I'm a glutton for punishment I decided to climb the 90 or 100 meter trail to the Haast Viewpoint for a look (maybe the 650 came from the elevation of the viewpoint?)  From the top there were a number of great views, including the glacier that feeds Haast River.  And, just for you Pat, here's a photo of my better side as I view the glacier.


Down the other side and into the Makaroroa river valley.  We made it into Makarora and spoke to the lady at the Info Office (a Scot who now lives in Lake Hawea and cycles, runs, tramps and all those other outdoorsy things).  After chatting with her we decided to have lunch at the (only) cafe in Makarora and then head to Lake Hawea instead of hanging around for the afternoon and night.

The Makarora River flows into Lake Wanaka.  As we continued along two things became evident - the vegetation has changed significantly and the views are stunning.  We have passed over the NZ divide (from Westland to Otago) and we are into an "interior" (read Penticton, Kamloops, Lilloet) type environment.  This view is of Lake Wanaka.



A bit of bicycle trouble - Laura's front shifter worked loose, so I had to remount and adjust it.  Being Campagnolo it is not a standard mount and it was modified when Laura changed her front rings.  Al - you and I will have to fiddle with it some more later on in Nanoose.

We turned left over a short hill called the Neck (above) and came to Lake Hawea.  Absolutley beautiful country!  I've included just a few of the many pictures I took.  I did some panorama shots and camera videos, but I can't include these in the blog right now.






It took a while for us to make it into Lake Hawea town, but the scenery convinced us both that the longer day was the right choice.  We had a great Valentine's Day meal (yes, I bought Laura a rose after all I need the points).

So, sanity will prevail and we are only going 15 km to Wanaka after a sleep-in tomorrow.  Almost a rest day to prepare for us to follow Gerry and Leddy over the 1080(?) meter Crown Saddle the following day (coffee at the Cardrona Hotel, of course)









5 comments:

  1. Comments on comments:
    For those of you who noticed February 112 - it was a test. And, that's why we are getting so far in February.
    Yes, Terri, I do carry a black marker - it's in my 'essential' bag (the one I use for SAR)
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photos from Lake Hawea are fantastic, they remind me of areas of Scotland. Its surprising how so many areas of the world look similar.

    Enjoy your short days ride.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi fantatic photos and thrill of thrills I finally got my Valentine picture. Greg's better side. You are obviously having a great time. Many of the shots reminded us of Austria and some of the lakes there. Miss you PAT & BEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering if you felt the quake, but thats my job. Incidently I found this blog by googling "Laura Greg 2011 cycle" as I didn't have it bookmarked on this computer - it was the first entry on the results page. - Rick

    ReplyDelete