Thursday, January 27, 2011

January 28 - Rotorua to Taupo - 82 km

 Hi, again:

A long, but easy ride today.  A 200 meter gentle climb out of the crater of Rotorua and then generally downhill and flat to Taupo.

We started off early - for those of you .who have been here before, the picture at left proves we were in the MacDonald's in Rotorua.  They have entire walls of Maori carvings.  A quick brekky of pancakes and off at 0730 before the heat gets us.


Along the road we passed various steam vents.  The whole of the central part of the north island is volcanic with a tectonic plate boundary directly beneath.  So, there are steam vents (we passed 6 or more today)  and the morning news often reports earthquakes.  We passed a power station today, but I don't know if it is geothermal (I suspect it is gas fed).



  The photo above is a group of inactive (probably not extinct) volcanoes north of Taupo.

Today, we had our first bike problem - I got a flat tire.  Actually, I think this is my first flat since Trois Riviere on our Canada trip in 2008.

Since we got an early start, we got into Taupo about 130 pm, so we only got some of the noon heat.

If you look at a map of New Zealand, there is a big lake in the centre of the North Island - Taupo is at the northern end.

My first impression of Taupo - Penticton!  It's a nice, touristy lake town.  As is typical, it is very clean and friendly.  On the lake front street, there are a lot of familiar signs - Pizza Hut, Burger King, Wendy;'s & McD's for example.








Except, Penticton doesn't have any of these - would you go for as pee in a Super Loo?"

Being a curious sort, I had to try it out, so I went for a coffee to give me an excuse to go.

It costs 40 cents, but you could also have a shower there.

Laura went off to scour shops, so I visited the museum (you don't think the Super Loo would be my only cultural foray in Taupo, did you?)

And, I had to take a picture if this, whatever the heck it is. I think I would hit the ditch if I saw this coming toward me.  Gypsy something or other, I guess.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day - 105 km to National Park with lots of uphill and possibly some rain and headwinds.  We'll give it our best shot.

2 comments:

  1. WOW...the "Super Loo", a flat tire & a Gypsy caravan campground in one day...talk about travel highlights overload!!...lol
    Good luck with your long haul tomorrow....
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, No bacon and eggs today. Better mske sure Laura gets some tomorrow morning for that long long ride, or she will melt away.
    I must have been in dogs too long, I looked at the three volcano's and the foreground and thought "Nice training Field."
    Hang in there tomorrow.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete