Wednesday, January 26, 2011

January 27 - around Rotorua

As I mentioned yesterday, today is a free day around Rotorua, and we are playing tourist.  We also dropped into the bike shops to get some route advice.

Background - Rotorua Lake is a crater lake.  There is lots of steam activity still and as you walk around town you occasionaly get whiffs of sulphur smell - kinda like living in a pulp mill town except you can't blame a company.  Laura has looked at me sideways once or twice and asked if I'm responsible for the smell - I have plausible deniability!

Our main visit today was to Te Puia Cultural Centre for a tour of the geyser and pools and a Maori concert.  Their website is www.tepuia.com.   Here is a shot of the geyser when it is quiet.  It will shoot 90 feet when it erupts.


One of the bubbling mud pools.  Yesterday in town at the Maori village there, when I told the lady what we are doing she gave me a tube of Thermal Mud body rub, to releive aches and pains!







A view up the hill, showing how there are various vents and pools everywhere.  If you look carefully, you can see a couple of guys in visi-vests wandering around (sacrificing a maiden?).
I did take some videos of the volcanic activity with my camera - some of them came out not badly.  However, I can't upload them to the blog without using up my Internet account.  There is no such thing as free wireless 
here and you pay for Internet access by the megabyte.  Ouch!




Onto the Maori culture.  3 shots of the village.  Note the detail carving in the last shot.





 And the Maori dancers.  My camera didn't work well inside, so the photos aren't good.  The concert
was great.  I did some more videos which came out surprisingly well, except I shake a lot.

And check out the chief's reaction when Laura told him about our cycling rouite across NZ.






























Back into town for a wander about.  This is the Spa building, built in 1908 as NZ's first major attempt at tourism. It's now a museum.  Beautiful building and immaculate grounds, including the lawn bowling greens and Croquet Pavillion and grounds.  They even had a BC totem, donated by of the tribes from Kingcome Inlet.

On the right is is a view of the lakefront, showing the results of all the activity.  I'm not sure I would pay big bucks for this lakefront.  Other parts of the lakeshore looked pretty normal.

Lastly, just for you Al - we saw this bike in one of the shops.  In case you can't read the tag it is $11,699.  

We would have bought you one, but I know you don't like red and they didn't have one in blue.

We're off to Taupo tomorrow.  Heavy rain is forecast for the weekend, but they think it will stay in the north (where we've been) so it should miss us.




5 comments:

  1. Great cultural lesson I will forward it on to the grandchildren so they can take it for their Social Studies class. Hope you will miss the rain. Great here sun for most of Wed. afternoon
    Have fun we are Pat and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura and Greg,

    We are just loving your travelogue and photos; keep 'em coming!! Here in rain soaked Victoria the fog rolled up Moss Street today but the tides are low in the afternoon for walking Jesse at Willows or Dallas Road Beach!! Started looking for condos today along Beach Drive - hmmm!! Mum is really enjoying reading your blog and looking at the photos too!

    Happy Trails!
    Julie, Ian and Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting steam vents and bubbling mud pools, the whole area must be volcanic. The Maori culture looks fascinating, and their buildings are very artistic. You picked a good place to take a break.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Posted this comment yesterday Greg but I guess I forgot to push the final button....previewed but forgot to post...duh!!!...old age!!
    Anyway...looks like you are having fun playing the tourista. Seeing the steam vents and bubbling mud pools brings back memories of our travels through Yellowstone. All that's missing are a few buffalo roaming the roads. When I think of NZ I just wouldn't think of volcanic steam vents etc...I will have to brush up on my NZ history I think. I am enjoying my armchair traveling through you 2 again...will keep looking forward to your posts Greg.
    Stay safe!
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Rotorua when I was there! I went to the Te Puia Cultural Centre too. Did you go on stage to greet the dancers? Very awkward for a Westerner - they greet each other by rubbing noses. Talk about invading your personal space. It was fun though and after the first couple, I didn't feel so weird. I loved the meal they cooked in the ground for us too. Luckily that was back when I ate meat and it was one of the best meals I have ever had.

    Happy Cycling!!

    ReplyDelete