Monday, January 24, 2011

January 25 - Waihi to Tauranga - 62 km

After a night in the pretty little Waihi Motor Camp we got up to cloudy skies and headed out, after
a goodie in town.  Fairly easy cycling - I don't mind clouds for cycling since it keeps the sun
off.

About half way through we stopped for bacon and eggs past Katikati.  Then the drizzle started,
making the cycling miserasble.  The road was easy with good shoulders.  The only place where I saw
my life go before my eyes was a 2 lane roundabout in Bethlehem (suburb of Tauranga).  One lane
roundabouts are a breeze, but a two laner with a lane change is scary on a bike.  We solved the
problem by walking the bikes over to the pedestrian crosswalk.

So, we are in a motel in the Summit Hill area of Tauranga.  Here's some photos:

-View of the Waihi Motor Camp.  Our (double bed sized) unit is half the little white building on the far left.  A really pretty place.






-A staute of a miner on the main street of Waihi.









-Part of the road past Katikati.  There are very tall hedges either side, I presume for use as wind breaks.  I think they were growing kiwis, grapes andother tree crops.

-A view of the waterfront in Tauranga.  I cycled around the residential part of downtown.

Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be better (still drizzle in the am).  Our destination is Rotorua Rua, which will require climbing a 500 meter vertical hill!  See you there (puff, puff!)

2 comments:

  1. Again great and interesting pictures. Just remember the little train that could. I think I can!! I think I can!! Good Luck Pat and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty areas that you are passing through. I was surprised at those tall hedges on each side of the road. Probably nudists camps behind them!
    Pedal hard up the hill.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete