Thursday, March 3, 2011

March 3 - Seddon to Picton & ferry to Wellington - 55 km

So, we survived the tent last night.  I was up about 2:30 a.m. and had a great view of the Southern Cross and the Milky Way.  The down side was that my Thermorest (hiker's air mattress) leaked so I might as well have slept directly on the ground.  I'm blaming Kye for the Thermorest, as he had pawed it before we left and I guess I only found one of the holes he made.  It's OK pooch, you're still in the good books (unless you've gone after Pat's shoes again).

A great morning, cool, clear and still. We cleaned up the tent, had breakfast with the guys from Vanuatu and headed off.




Just out of town I shot this photo of a riverbed from the bridge.  The soil has changed and looks like it contains a lot more clay now.









Another shot of grassy pasture with spectacular mountains in the background.

We are in serious wine country today, the Marlborough region.  If you check your NZ wine bottles, I'll bet a lot of it comes from here.









Here's a vineyard with rose bushes planted all around it.  I asked Jim (Pedaller's Rest) about this.  He told me they plant the roses to attract bugs as roses are more susceptible to the bugs than the grapes - sort of like canaries in a coal mine.  

You can also see the netting on the grapes.  There is literally hundreds of km of netting strung up.  No wonder they import workers to help out.




The last shot today is of a river valley we passed through.  Note how this is much more steeply cut
than the glaciated valleys I had been showing you earlier.  Steep as it is, they swtill use it for pasture.  They almost need sheep with short legs on one side to be able to walk across this.

We blew into Blenheim easily, stopped for coffee and a goodie and then cruised on into Picton.  It was an easy ride in gentle terrain with two yawner hills, less than 100 meters climb each.

We grabbed the ferry into Picton and are in Wellington now, in the Downtown Backpackers, which used 
to be the Waterloo Hotel.  We are going to be here for 3 days and then will take the train to Auckland.

So, that's about it for cycling.  We've racked up just over 2800 km on this trip.  We may do some day cycling trips, but we're not sure.  I'll try to keep up the blog and I'll finish off the maps I started earlier.


5 comments:

  1. Looks like your trip is winding down....can't believe how many km's you have logged.

    Got a good giggle from your comment about the kind of sheep they need to negotiate those steep hills Greg (short legs on one side)....maybe NZ researchers can contact English researchers and see if they can create a lobsided "Dolly #2"...lol
    Enjoy your last week of warm holidays...you'll need your woolies when you get home!!
    Take care
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some nice scenery you passed through the last couple of days, The terrain does look dryer and hillier like around cache creek.
    Yep, the weather is horrible here, big winds and cancelled ferries yesterday, snow showers today. I bet that you are both ready to take it easy for a few days ! Great trip.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally caught up on the past 10 days or so of posts. Makes me really envious that I'm here and not there. Looking forward to seeing you when you're back and hearing all of the stories in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After all the earthquakes in the past couple of days there.....I can now understand why NZ has the nickname "Shaky Isles"!!
    Safe trip home...
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for very good blog about Pooper Scoopers. It's very nice.

    ReplyDelete